— September 2020 —
Table of Contents
- Prez Says
- Wishing Everyone Well
- Club Membership Forms
- Fredericksburg Rockhounds Minutes
- This Month’s Events
- Birthstone & Flowers
- Newsletter Hard Copies & Mail-Outs
- Club Info
- Club Officers and Committee Chairs
- Monthly Meeting Map
- Newsletter Articles and Club Info
- Print This Newsletter
It looks like a repeat for another month. The Hub seems to still be closed and the virus is still with us. I have been working on the show for January and I’m finding that we may be short members to work. If you have an opinion you can give me a call @ 325.248.1067. I am sending out dealer contracts this week. Payment for the space is not being asked for at this time. Spaces on the stage and outside will be on the list for next month. Let’s all keep our fingers crossed that things will change by the end of the year. As far as meetings go, I don’t see any problems if we can’t meet for a while. I do recommend that we should all binge on sweets and fattening foods on the first Monday of the month. This will help us stay in shape for future meetings. Since we haven’t had a good joke to start the meeting, here goes.
Lee and Tom were on a camping and rockhounding trip. They had gone to bed and were lying there looking up at the sky. Tom said, “Lee, look up. What do you see?”
“Well, I see thousands of stars.”
“And what does that mean to you?”
“Well, I guess it means we will have another nice day tomorrow. What does it mean to you, Tom?”
“To me, it means someone has stolen our tent.”
Until we meet again stay healthy and safe and we will see everybody soon.
Wishing Everyone Well
As you all are no doubt aware, we are under a global pandemic brought upon by a coronavirus named COVID-19. We want everyone to stay safe during this crisis and since it is ever-changing (even by the hour!) here some places you can go online to keep up to date regarding COVID-19.
This first link is for the World Health Organization’s advice for the public:
Next up is a link for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
The last two links are specifically relevant for us Texans and they go directly to Department of State Health Service on the Texas.gov website:
May we all gather soon and hunt rocks. Be safe everybody!
Club Membership Forms
Membership application forms for the Fredericksburg Rockhounds are now available to download and print from our website. Please navigate to the new Resources Page located at this address:
Once there, simply click the link for the 2018 Membership Form to download or print a PDF copy.
Fredericksburg Rockhounds Meeting Minutes
There are no minutes for this month’s meeting as it was cancelled due the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
This Month’s Events
*** With health guidelines issued concerning the COVID-19 virus, most shows and events are being cancelled and rescheduled. Before making your plans, please use the information provided in each listing to contact the presenters to verify the status of the event. As always, BE SAFE! ***
There are no events that we are aware of for this month.
- For more shows at later dates, or outside Texas, visit www.rockngem.com
September’s Birthstone & Flowers
The September birthstone is the sapphire; the flowers are the aster and the morning glory.
Sapphires are a form of corundum and generally come in many shades of blue that run the gamut from light to dark.
Sapphire was once believed to ward off evil and protect against poison.
Asters bloom in the late summer and early autumn and need little care to flourish. They are symbolic of powerful love.
A symbol of affection, morning glories live up to their name: they open their blooms in the early part of their day and then close them later in the afternoon.
- Majoros, Martie. “September Birthstone: Color and Meaning.” Almanac.com. Yankee Publishing, Inc. n.d. August 19, 2018.
- “September Birth Flowers.” Alamanac.com. Yankee Publishing, Inc. n.d. August 19, 2018.
- Jim Chude, HLM — September 2
- Cheryl Wildfong, HLM — September 2
- Judy Beauford — September 3
- Jim Gedeon — September 10
- Frida Carron — September 11
- Steve Fleming — September 11
- Karen Fair — September 17
- Elaine McMurray — September 17
- Steve Perez — September 22
- Dennis Ahrens — September 26
- Lee Adams — September 27
- Bernice Synder — September 28
- Joleen Franklin — September 30
— Please note: If we missed your birthday or have listed it incorrectly, please let us know so we can correct it! email@example.com
Newsletter Hard Copies & Mail-Outs
The club will no longer mail out hard copies of the newsletter to members. Those who have provided the club with an email address will continue to receive notifications via email when the newsletter is published for viewing online.
To print your own copy of this edition of the newsletter, go to the section titled “Print This Newsletter” and follow the simple directions.
If you need a hard copy of the newsletter each month and cannot access the online newsletters — http://fredericksburgrockhounds.org/newsletter/ — to print your own, then please let an officer of the club know and arrangements can be made to assist you.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask us.
— Josh Hazer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Your ad here for $25/year
For more information, please contact the newsletter editors by emailing us at:
- Purpose of the Fredericksburg Rockhounds:
To share knowledge and appreciation of gems, minerals, fossils, and other natural wonders, and the art of jewelry making. We do this through educational monthly meetings, field trips, an annual gem, mineral, & fossil show, and donations to schools. We’re affiliated with the American Federation of Mineral Societies, and the South Central Federation of Mineral Societies.
- Membership and Meetings:
We meet at 7:00 P.M. on the first Monday of each month at the Golden Hub Senior Center, 1009 N Lincoln, Fredericksburg, Texas (except in June, when we have our annual picnic). See map, below.
- Annual dues are $3 for juniors (under 19 years), $8 for individuals, and $15 for families; due in January.
- Newsletter correspondence and newsletter advertising: email@example.com
- All other correspondence: Fredericksburg Rockhounds, 412 S. Adams St, Fredericksburg TX 78624
- Visit our website at fredericksburgrockhounds.org for more club info, field trip news, club photos, resources, and previous newsletters.
Club Officers and Committee Chairs
Club Officers for 2020:
- President: Frank Rowell
- 1st Vice President: Steve Perez – (817) 404-9789
- 2nd Vice President: Joe DeHoyos
- Past President: Lee Adams – (830) 796-8890
- Treasurer: Jim Gedeon – (830) 456-5419
- Secretary: Brenda Smith – (830) 895-9630
- Programs: Joe DeHoyos
- Field Trips: Patti Felts – (325) 247-6040
and Sam Rodgers – (210) 240-7721
- Hospitality: Susan Olson – (830) 997-8516
- Membership: Virginia Adian – (830) 755-6105
- Historian: Sara Verstuyft – (830) 998-7350
- Media Equipment: John Crone – (830) 990-9823
- Annual Show: Vacant
- Newsletter: Josh Hazer
Monthly Meeting Map
Newsletter Articles and Club Info
Articles for each month’s newsletter must be received by the 15th of the month.
Send them to your newsletter editor via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also use the form on our Contact Page to submit your articles:
A copy of the Club MEMBERSHIP LIST is available TO MEMBERS ONLY, via email (or paper mail if necessary). Contact Virginia Adian at email@example.com or 830-755-6105
The Club CONSTITUTION & BY-LAWS are posted on our website: fredericksburgrockhounds.org/constitution