— November 2020 —
Table of Contents
- Prez Says
- Wishing Everyone Well
- Club Membership Forms
- Fredericksburg Rockhounds Minutes
- This Month’s Events
- Birthstone & Flowers
- Newsletter Hard Copies & Mail-Outs
- Club Info
- Club Officers and Committee Chairs
- Monthly Meeting Map
- Newsletter Articles and Club Info
- Print This Newsletter
It looks like another month has come and gone with no improvement to the Covid-19 problem. Cases have been on a steady rise here in central Texas. The Golden Hub is still closed till further notice and gatherings of more than 10 people are still being discouraged.
Last month I asked if anyone would be willing to have an outdoor meeting, and I only heard from 1 person. It was the same for getting help with our show in January.
At this time, I don’t see us having a meeting in November. and the annual show looks less likely. We also have elections in November and my feeling is that all positions will roll over till next year.
If anyone has a comment call me at 325-248-1067. I miss seeing everybody and it may be awhile before that happens.
Until then, stay healthy and give me a call. I’m not sure how many people are seeing the newsletter and I would like to hear from you.
Wishing Everyone Well
As you all are no doubt aware, we are under a global pandemic brought upon by a coronavirus named COVID-19. We want everyone to stay safe during this crisis and since it is ever-changing (even by the hour!) here some places you can go online to keep up to date regarding COVID-19.
This first link is for the World Health Organization’s advice for the public:
Next up is a link for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
The last two links are specifically relevant for us Texans and they go directly to Department of State Health Service on the Texas.gov website:
May we all gather soon and hunt rocks. Be safe everybody!
Club Membership Forms
Membership application forms for the Fredericksburg Rockhounds are now available to download and print from our website. Please navigate to the new Resources Page located at this address:
Once there, simply click the link for the 2018 Membership Form to download or print a PDF copy.
Fredericksburg Rockhounds Meeting Minutes
There are no minutes for this month’s meeting as it was cancelled due the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
This Month’s Events
*** With health guidelines issued concerning the COVID-19 virus, most shows and events are being cancelled and rescheduled. Before making your plans, please use the information provided in each listing to contact the presenters to verify the status of the event. As always, BE SAFE! ***
There are no events that we are aware of for this month.
- For more shows at later dates, or outside Texas, visit www.rockngem.com
November’s Birthstone & Flowers
The October birthstone is the topaz; the flower is the chrysanthemum.
Topaz is the mineral fluoro-hydroxy silicate and is the hardest of all known silicate minerals. Topaz itself is colorless but impurities within can turn it into almost any color. Yellow or amber is most often associated with topaz. Interestingly, even though blue topaz is rare to find naturally (most for sale have been treated to get the color) it is Imperial topaz (reddish orange with pink undertones) that is the most valuable.
The lone flower for the month of November is the chrysanthemum. It is a perennial and comes in a variety of colors. After they finish blooming in autumn, they can be mulched with straw to protect them from inclement weather.
- Majoros, Martie. “November Birthstone: Color and Meaning.” Almanac.com. Yankee Publishing, Inc. n.d. October 17, 2018.
- “November Birth Flower.” Alamanac.com. Yankee Publishing, Inc. n.d. October 17, 2018.
- Loren Fothergill — November 4
- Susan Amos — November 6
- Kathleen Holloway — November 6
- Randy Snyder — November 7
- Jennifer Burkhart — November 9
- Paula Brice — November 13
- Donna Reinke — November 17
- Winter — November 18
- Jay Graves — November 23
- Ken DeVos — November 30
— Please note: If we missed your birthday or have listed it incorrectly, please let us know so we can correct it! firstname.lastname@example.org
Newsletter Hard Copies & Mail-Outs
The club will no longer mail out hard copies of the newsletter to members. Those who have provided the club with an email address will continue to receive notifications via email when the newsletter is published for viewing online.
To print your own copy of this edition of the newsletter, go to the section titled “Print This Newsletter” and follow the simple directions.
If you need a hard copy of the newsletter each month and cannot access the online newsletters — http://fredericksburgrockhounds.org/newsletter/ — to print your own, then please let an officer of the club know and arrangements can be made to assist you.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask us.
— Josh Hazer, email@example.com
Your ad here for $25/year
For more information, please contact the newsletter editors by emailing us at:
- Purpose of the Fredericksburg Rockhounds:
To share knowledge and appreciation of gems, minerals, fossils, and other natural wonders, and the art of jewelry making. We do this through educational monthly meetings, field trips, an annual gem, mineral, & fossil show, and donations to schools. We’re affiliated with the American Federation of Mineral Societies, and the South Central Federation of Mineral Societies.
- Membership and Meetings:
We meet at 7:00 P.M. on the first Monday of each month at the Golden Hub Senior Center, 1009 N Lincoln, Fredericksburg, Texas (except in June, when we have our annual picnic). See map, below.
- Annual dues are $3 for juniors (under 19 years), $8 for individuals, and $15 for families; due in January.
- Newsletter correspondence and newsletter advertising: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All other correspondence: Fredericksburg Rockhounds, 412 S. Adams St, Fredericksburg TX 78624
- Visit our website at fredericksburgrockhounds.org for more club info, field trip news, club photos, resources, and previous newsletters.
Club Officers and Committee Chairs
Club Officers for 2020:
- President: Frank Rowell
- 1st Vice President: Steve Perez – (817) 404-9789
- 2nd Vice President: Joe DeHoyos
- Past President: Lee Adams – (830) 796-8890
- Treasurer: Jim Gedeon – (830) 456-5419
- Secretary: Brenda Smith – (830) 895-9630
- Programs: Joe DeHoyos
- Field Trips: Patti Felts – (325) 247-6040
and Sam Rodgers – (210) 240-7721
- Hospitality: Susan Olson – (830) 997-8516
- Membership: Virginia Adian – (830) 755-6105
- Historian: Sara Verstuyft – (830) 998-7350
- Media Equipment: John Crone – (830) 990-9823
- Annual Show: Vacant
- Newsletter: Josh Hazer
Monthly Meeting Map
Newsletter Articles and Club Info
Articles for each month’s newsletter must be received by the 15th of the month.
Send them to your newsletter editor via email: email@example.com
You may also use the form on our Contact Page to submit your articles:
A copy of the Club MEMBERSHIP LIST is available TO MEMBERS ONLY, via email (or paper mail if necessary). Contact Virginia Adian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 830-755-6105
The Club CONSTITUTION & BY-LAWS are posted on our website: fredericksburgrockhounds.org/constitution