— July 2021 —
Table of Contents
- Prez Says
- Club Membership Forms
- Fredericksburg Rockhounds Minutes
- This Month’s Events
- Birthstone & Flowers
- Newsletter Hard Copies & Mail-Outs
- Club Info
- Club Officers and Committee Chairs
- Monthly Meeting Map
- Newsletter Articles and Club Info
- Print This Newsletter
It looks like we are off to a good start with club meetings now that Covid is behind us.
The picnic was very successful with about 30 people showing up. We all had a good time seeing each other for the first time in a long time at a regular club function.
On Monday July 5th we will be meeting at the Golden Hub at 6:pm with the Business meeting beginning at 7pm. I hope to see a good crowd for the meeting. Bring snacks and a good story to share. Someone must have had a great adventure they want to share. I hope that we can remember how to do this.
There’s not much else going on to report at this point. In July, the applications for the Gem Show will be going out in the mail and we will be starting a committee to get the job done. If you would be interested in being on a committee let me know. I would like to start as soon as possible.
Until Monday, stay safe we’ll see you in July.
Club Membership Forms
Membership application forms for the Fredericksburg Rockhounds are now available to download and print from our website. Please navigate to the new Resources Page located at this address:
Once there, simply click the link for the 2018 Membership Form to download or print a PDF copy.
Fredericksburg Rockhounds Meeting Minutes
There were no meeting minutes for this newsletter as we held our annual picnic in June.
This Month’s Events
*** Due to the COVID-19 virus, please use the information provided in each listing to contact the presenters to verify the status of the event. As always, BE SAFE! ***
16-18—FRISCO , TEXAS: Annual show; Texas Mineral and Fossil Dallas/Frisco Show; Embassy Suites by Hilton Dallas Frisco Hotel Convention Center & Spa, 7600 John Q Hammons Dr,; Fri. 10-6, Sat. 10-6, Sun. 10-4; Free admission ; Retail / wholesale dealers – minerals, fossils, meteorites, jewelry. ; contact Sandra Gonzales, Denver, CO 80222, (720) 425-3948; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: www.rmgmpromotions.com
- For more shows at later dates, or outside Texas, visit www.rockngem.com
July’s Birthstone & Flowers
The July birthstone is the ruby; the flowers are the larkspur and the water lily.
In ancient times, the ruby was regarded as the “king of gems” by the Hindus. All rubies are red and come in various shades of the hue. Ruby comes from the Latin word rubeus, which means “red.”
The ruby is among the hardest natural gemstones, second only to the diamond.
The larkspur can grow up to eight feet tall and comes in a variety of colors such as pink, white, or purple.
Water lilies float on the surface of natural waters such as ponds. They help deter algae growth and provide shade for wildlife below.
- Majoros, Martie. “July Birthstone: Color and Meaning.” Almanac.com. Yankee Publishing, Inc. n.d. June 19, 2018.
- “July Birth Flowers.” Alamanac.com. Yankee Publishing, Inc. n.d. June 19, 2018.
- Virginia Adian — July 3
- Diane Magee— July 7
- Agnes Thompson— July 13
- Gary Jensen — July 15
- Jeff Smith— July 20
- Jessie Petty — July 28
- Andy Anderson — July 29
* Sincere apologies to Ed Gage who had a birthday that we missed on June 24th!
— Please note: If we missed your birthday or have listed it incorrectly, please let us know so we can correct it! email@example.com
Newsletter Hard Copies & Mail-Outs
The club will no longer mail out hard copies of the newsletter to members. Those who have provided the club with an email address will continue to receive notifications via email when the newsletter is published for viewing online.
To print your own copy of this edition of the newsletter, go to the section titled “Print This Newsletter” and follow the simple directions.
If you need a hard copy of the newsletter each month and cannot access the online newsletters — http://fredericksburgrockhounds.org/newsletter/ — to print your own, then please let an officer of the club know and arrangements can be made to assist you.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask us.
— Josh Hazer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Your ad here for $25/year
For more information, please contact the newsletter editors by emailing us at:
- Purpose of the Fredericksburg Rockhounds:
To share knowledge and appreciation of gems, minerals, fossils, and other natural wonders, and the art of jewelry making. We do this through educational monthly meetings, field trips, an annual gem, mineral, & fossil show, and donations to schools. We’re affiliated with the American Federation of Mineral Societies, and the South Central Federation of Mineral Societies.
- Membership and Meetings:
We meet at 7:00 P.M. on the first Monday of each month at the Golden Hub Senior Center, 1009 N Lincoln, Fredericksburg, Texas (except in June, when we have our annual picnic). See map, below.
- Annual dues are $3 for juniors (under 19 years), $8 for individuals, and $15 for families; due in January.
- Newsletter correspondence and newsletter advertising: email@example.com
- All other correspondence: Fredericksburg Rockhounds, 412 S. Adams St, Fredericksburg TX 78624
- Visit our website at fredericksburgrockhounds.org for more club info, field trip news, club photos, resources, and previous newsletters.
Club Officers and Committee Chairs
Club Officers for 2020:
- President: Frank Rowell
- 1st Vice President: Steve Perez – (817) 404-9789
- 2nd Vice President: Joe DeHoyos
- Past President: Lee Adams – (830) 796-8890
- Treasurer: Jim Gedeon – (830) 456-5419
- Secretary: Brenda Smith – (830) 895-9630
- Programs: Joe DeHoyos
- Field Trips: Patti Felts – (325) 247-6040
and Sam Rodgers – (210) 240-7721
- Hospitality: Susan Olson – (830) 997-8516
- Membership: Virginia Adian – (361) 649-0039
- Historian: Sara Verstuyft – (830) 998-7350
- Media Equipment: John Crone – (830) 990-9823
- Annual Show: Vacant
- Newsletter: Josh Hazer
Monthly Meeting Map
Newsletter Articles and Club Info
Articles for each month’s newsletter must be received by the 15th of the month.
Send them to your newsletter editor via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also use the form on our Contact Page to submit your articles:
A copy of the Club MEMBERSHIP LIST is available TO MEMBERS ONLY, via email (or paper mail if necessary). Contact Virginia Adian at email@example.com or 830-755-6105
The Club CONSTITUTION & BY-LAWS are posted on our website: fredericksburgrockhounds.org/constitution