— July 2019 —
Table of Contents
- From the Top of the Rock Pile
- Club Membership Forms
- Fredericksburg Rockhounds Minutes
- Future Meeting Programs
- This Month’s Events
- July Birthstone & Flowers
- Newsletter Hard Copies & Mail-Outs
- Club Info
- Club Officers and Committee Chairs
- Monthly Meeting Map
- Newsletter Articles and Club Info
- Print or Save This Newsletter
From the Top of the Rock Pile
Lee Adams — President
As you can see, I am back from Idaho. Things went well there and I think the estate is taken care of.
I want to thank Steve Perez for doing the June picnic. Several people have called and said it went well.
Not a lot to say for the month’s input. It’s July and hot; hydrate then hydrate some more, or better yet, just don’t go outside. For the real rock hounds, take a bucket of your old finds or a bucket at the back of the rock pile back into the living room, pour the bucket out and see how many spiders and assorted other bugs you can find. Don’t miss any or your spouse will make sure you sleep in the living room with the rocks. While you are at it, get a bucket of water and a good brush and give each rock a good bath and scrubbing. Now try to reidentify each rock. If you are like me you will find at least one new one that you will swear you have never seen before and can’t identify. It doesn’t help your wife’s issues with your making a mess in the house.
Wishing you a happy and safe 4th of July.
Club Membership Forms
Membership application forms for the Fredericksburg Rockhounds are now available to download and print from our website. Please navigate to the new Resources Page located at this address:
Once there, simply click the link for the 2018 Membership Form to download or print a PDF copy.
Fredericksburg Rockhounds Meeting Minutes
There are no Meeting Minutes for the month of June as we had our annual picnic in lieu of the monthly meeting.
Future Meeting Programs
July 1: Sara Verstuyft — A presentation about “Unusual Dinosaurs.”
August 5: Lynn Post — Lynn will provide some of the history of silversmithing, tools used, different types of silver work and where to get some of the materials. He will show the process of making something that will then be available on the door prize table.
September 2: Virginia Adian — Will provide a presentation titled: “Geology of Ireland.”
October 7: Patty Felts — Will provide a Tucson, Arizona slide show featuring her own photography.
November 4: No Program — This time is reserved to plan for the January Show.
December 2: No Program — We will celebrate with our annual Christmas Party. We begin at 6:00P.M. instead of the usual 7:00P.M. Please bring your favorite Christmas food to share.
This Month’s Events
— July 2019
Currently, there are no events for the month of July that we are aware of.
- For more shows at later dates, or outside Texas, visit www.rockngem.com
July’s Birthstone & Flowers
The July birthstone is the ruby; the flowers are the larkspur and the water lily.
In ancient times, the ruby was regarded as the “king of gems” by the Hindus. All rubies are red and come in various shades of the hue. Ruby comes from the Latin word rubeus, which means “red.”
The ruby is among the hardest natural gemstones, second only to the diamond.
The larkspur can grow up to eight feet tall and comes in a variety of colors such as pink, white, or purple.
Water lilies float on the surface of natural waters such as ponds. They help deter algae growth and provide shade for wildlife below.
- Majoros, Martie. “July Birthstone: Color and Meaning.” Almanac.com. Yankee Publishing, Inc. n.d. June 19, 2018.
- “July Birth Flowers.” Alamanac.com. Yankee Publishing, Inc. n.d. June 19, 2018.
- Austin — July 2
- Virginia Adian — July 3
- Diane Magee— July 7
- Bill Wildfong, HLM— July 12
- Agnes Thompson— July 13
- Richard— July 13
- Jeff Smith— July 20
- Don MacDonald — July 23
- Gayle Smith — July 26
- Jessie Petty — July 28
- Andy Anderson — July 29
- Tina Roth — July 30
- Tom Westermeier — July 31
— Please note: If we missed your birthday or have listed it incorrectly, please let us know so we can correct it! firstname.lastname@example.org
Newsletter Hard Copies & Mail-Outs
The club will no longer mail out hard copies of the newsletter to members. Those who have provided the club with an email address will continue to receive notifications via email when the newsletter is published for viewing online.
Every online newsletter will now feature a link to a PDF version of itself in the section titled “Print or Save This Newsletter” where you can save or print your own copy.
If you need a hard copy of the newsletter each month and cannot access the online newsletters — http://fredericksburgrockhounds.org/newsletter/ — to print your own, then please let the president, Lee Adams, know. He will provide printed copies for those who need them at each monthly meeting.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask us.
— Josh Hazer, email@example.com
Your ad here for $25/year
For more information, please contact the newsletter editors by emailing us at:
- Purpose of the Fredericksburg Rockhounds:
To share knowledge and appreciation of gems, minerals, fossils, and other natural wonders, and the art of jewelry making. We do this through educational monthly meetings, field trips, an annual gem, mineral, & fossil show, and donations to schools. We’re affiliated with the American Federation of Mineral Societies, and the South Central Federation of Mineral Societies.
- Membership and Meetings:
We meet at 7:00 P.M. on the first Monday of each month at the Golden Hub Senior Center, 1009 N Lincoln, Fredericksburg, Texas (except in June, when we have our annual picnic). See map, below.
- Annual dues are $3 for juniors (under 19 years), $8 for individuals, and $15 for families; due in January.
- Newsletter correspondence and newsletter advertising: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All other correspondence: Fredericksburg Rockhounds, 412 S. Adams St, Fredericksburg TX 78624
- Visit our website at fredericksburgrockhounds.org for more club info, field trip news, club photos, resources, and previous newsletters.
Club Officers and Committee Chairs
Club Officers for 2018:
- President: Lee Adams – (830) 796-8890
- 1st Vice President: Steve Perez – (817) 404-9789
- 2nd Vice President: Patti Felts – (325) 248-6040
- Past President: Andy Anderson – (830) 370-2177
- Treasurer: Jim Gedeon – (830) 456-5419
- Secretary: Judy Adams – (830) 796-8890
- Programs: Patti Felts – (325) 247-6040
- Field Trips: Patti Felts – (325) 247-6040
and Sam Rodgers – (210) 240-7721
- Hospitality: Susan Olson – (830) 997-8516
- Membership: Brenda Smith – (830) 895-9630
- Historian: Sara Verstuyft – (830) 998-7350
- Media Equipment: John Crone – (830) 990-9823
- Annual Show: Vacant
- Newsletter: Josh Hazer
Monthly Meeting Map
Newsletter Articles and Club Info
Articles for each month’s newsletter must be received by the 15th of the month.
Send them to your newsletter editor via email: email@example.com
You may also use the form on our Contact Page to submit your articles:
A copy of the Club MEMBERSHIP LIST is available TO MEMBERS ONLY, via email (or paper mail if necessary). Contact Virginia Adian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 830-755-6105
The Club CONSTITUTION & BY-LAWS are posted on our website: fredericksburgrockhounds.org/constitution
Print or Save This Newsletter
To print or save this newsletter, click the following link for the PDF version.
The PDF has the same information as what you see here online, but it is in a printer friendly format. If you have any questions, just drop us a line and we’ll be happy to help you.