— January 2020 —
Table of Contents
- Prez Says
- 2020 Membership Dues
- Club Membership Forms
- Fredericksburg Rockhounds Minutes
- Future Meeting Programs
- This Month’s Events
- December Birthstone & Flowers
- Newsletter Hard Copies & Mail-Outs
- Club Info
- Club Officers and Committee Chairs
- Monthly Meeting Map
- Newsletter Articles and Club Info
- Print or Save This Newsletter
The prez says it’s time again for our annual gem show. This month’s meeting will be about show preparation. We can still use silent auction items, and it’s not too late if you have a great mineral or jewelry item for the raffle. I will have the signup sheets for silent auction, door and club booth volunteers. This is our time to show off the hobby we all enjoy.
As the incoming president I would like to give a big thank you to Lee Adams for all the work he has done for the club. I would also like to thank Judy Adams and Patricia Felts for their time as officers of our club. I’m looking forward to the next couple of years with all the members of this fine club.
Frank Rowell — President
2020 Membership Dues
As we approach the new year, so, too, we approach yearly membership dues. Despite the ever increasing prices of the world today, the cost of membership remains unchanged. Yearly dues are as follows: $3 for junior members (under 19 years), $8 for adult members (19 and over), and $15 for families.
As you renew your club membership, please take a moment to ensure your information is up-to-date. As always, let us know if you need to make a change to anything.
Club Membership Forms
Membership application forms for the Fredericksburg Rockhounds are now available to download and print from our website. Please navigate to the new Resources Page located at this address:
Once there, simply click the link for the 2018 Membership Form to download or print a PDF copy.
Fredericksburg Rockhounds Meeting Minutes
— December 2nd, 2019 —
There were no meeting minutes for December because we had a great Christmas Party instead of a meeting.
Future Meeting Programs
January 6, 2020: No Program — This time is reserved to complete plans for the January Gem and Mineral Show.
This Month’s Events
18-19—FREDERICKSBURG, TEXAS: Annual show; Fredericksburg Rockhounds; Lady Bird Johnson Park at the Pavilion, Hwy.16 South; Sat. 9-6, Sun. 10-4; free admission; Dealers, demonstrations, rock cutting, activities for children; contact Frank Rowell, 474 Lost Hollow Rd., Llano, TX 78643, (325) 248-1067; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: fredericksburgrockhounds.org
24-26—TYLER, TEXAS: Annual show; The East Texas Gem & Mineral Society; Tyler Rose Garden Center, 420 South Rose Park Dr.; Fri. 9-5, Sat. 10-6, Sun. 10-5; Adults $5, students and children $1 ; 24th Annual Gemstone and Jewelry Show, with dealers offering minerals, cut and uncut stones, geodes, equipment and supplies, demonstrations, displays, and activities for children ; contact Margaret Kilanski ; Email: email@example.com
- For more shows at later dates, or outside Texas, visit www.rockngem.com
January’s Birthstone & Flowers
The January birthstone is the garnet; the flower are the carnation and the snowdrop.
The garnet, is thought to keep the wearer safe during travel. Garnets form in layers of rock deep underground where they withstand extreme temperature variations. Geologists study garnets to understand the effects of temperature and pressure on surrounding rocks. Although the garnet is commonly associated with a range of red hues, it also sometimes forms in other colors, including greens, yellows, and even blues.
The carnation comes in several different colors, which convey different meanings, much like roses. A pink carnation means affection, while a red carnation means ‘I love you.’
The snowdrop used to be considered bad luck because it always seemed to grow in graveyards, but nowadays, this delicate flower signifies hope and beauty.
- Majoros, Martie. “January Birthstone: Color and Meaning.” Almanac.com. Yankee Publishing, Inc. n.d. December 16, 2018.
- “January Birth Flower.” Alamanac.com. Yankee Publishing, Inc. n.d. December 16, 2018.
- Mary Jane Morris — January 2
- Virginia Klenzing — January 3
- Sarah Johanson — January 7
- Tom Carswell — January 8
- Keith King — January 11
- Mercedes Eckert — January 12
- Yvonne Starr — January 13
- Sue Burkhart — January 15
- Callie Weaver — January 15
- Sandra White — January 15
- Patti Felts — January 16
- Tom Moyes — January 16
- Carolyn Roup — January 21
- Amanda Payne — January 22
- Patricia (Trish) Wilson — January 30
— Please note: If we missed your birthday or have listed it incorrectly, please let us know so we can correct it! firstname.lastname@example.org
Newsletter Hard Copies & Mail-Outs
The club will no longer mail out hard copies of the newsletter to members. Those who have provided the club with an email address will continue to receive notifications via email when the newsletter is published for viewing online.
Every online newsletter will now feature a link to a PDF version of itself in the section titled “Print or Save This Newsletter” where you can save or print your own copy.
If you need a hard copy of the newsletter each month and cannot access the online newsletters — http://fredericksburgrockhounds.org/newsletter/ — to print your own, then please let the president, Lee Adams, know. He will provide printed copies for those who need them at each monthly meeting.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask us.
— Josh Hazer, email@example.com
Your ad here for $25/year
For more information, please contact the newsletter editors by emailing us at:
- Purpose of the Fredericksburg Rockhounds:
To share knowledge and appreciation of gems, minerals, fossils, and other natural wonders, and the art of jewelry making. We do this through educational monthly meetings, field trips, an annual gem, mineral, & fossil show, and donations to schools. We’re affiliated with the American Federation of Mineral Societies, and the South Central Federation of Mineral Societies.
- Membership and Meetings:
We meet at 7:00 P.M. on the first Monday of each month at the Golden Hub Senior Center, 1009 N Lincoln, Fredericksburg, Texas (except in June, when we have our annual picnic). See map, below.
- Annual dues are $3 for juniors (under 19 years), $8 for individuals, and $15 for families; due in January.
- Newsletter correspondence and newsletter advertising: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All other correspondence: Fredericksburg Rockhounds, 412 S. Adams St, Fredericksburg TX 78624
- Visit our website at fredericksburgrockhounds.org for more club info, field trip news, club photos, resources, and previous newsletters.
Club Officers and Committee Chairs
Club Officers for 2020:
- President: Frank Rowell
- 1st Vice President: Steve Perez – (817) 404-9789
- 2nd Vice President: Patti Felts – (325) 248-6040
- Past President: Lee Adams – (830) 796-8890
- Treasurer: Jim Gedeon – (830) 456-5419
- Secretary: Judy Adams – (830) 796-8890
- Programs: Patti Felts – (325) 247-6040
- Field Trips: Patti Felts – (325) 247-6040
and Sam Rodgers – (210) 240-7721
- Hospitality: Susan Olson – (830) 997-8516
- Membership: Brenda Smith – (830) 895-9630
- Historian: Sara Verstuyft – (830) 998-7350
- Media Equipment: John Crone – (830) 990-9823
- Annual Show: Vacant
- Newsletter: Josh Hazer
Monthly Meeting Map
Newsletter Articles and Club Info
Articles for each month’s newsletter must be received by the 15th of the month.
Send them to your newsletter editor via email: email@example.com
You may also use the form on our Contact Page to submit your articles:
A copy of the Club MEMBERSHIP LIST is available TO MEMBERS ONLY, via email (or paper mail if necessary). Contact Virginia Adian at firstname.lastname@example.org or 830-755-6105
The Club CONSTITUTION & BY-LAWS are posted on our website: fredericksburgrockhounds.org/constitution
Print or Save This Newsletter
To print or save this newsletter, click the following link for the PDF version.
The PDF has the same information as what you see here online, but it is in a printer friendly format. If you have any questions, just drop us a line and we’ll be happy to help you.